Do mentors teach?
Yes, mentors teach! However, they do so not in the traditional mode of teachers but on a one-to-one basis involving the following:
- Model behavior for the mentoree as to how to act in a given situation.
- Inform the mentoree through information sharing or skill development.
- Confirm information that the mentoree possesses for accuracy, completeness and usefulness.
- Prescribe a course of action for the mentoree to follow when the mentoree is exploring an unfamiliar area and needs guidance.
- Question the mentoree using the familiar “Active Listening” model, asking “Who? What? Why?” as a way of fully exploring an issue. Providing the answer is probably the least important aspect of a mentor’s responsibilities to his/her mentoree. It’s in traveling the journey that the most valuable learning occurs.
Image Credit: © Relato | Dreamstime.com