Business Mentoring Agreement-Assigning Objectives and Guidelines
One of the most important steps that must occur at the start of a business mentoring relationship is to clearly define objectives and guidelines and how those objectives will be achieved. During one of your first meetings together (certainly by the second meeting), mentor and mentoree should map out those objectives.
The Mentoring Agreement sets forth the objectives which the pairs commit themselves to working on together. Both partners agree to follow the guidelines of the program for the period specified and to make a good faith effort to resolve any issues that may arise between them.
The following is an example of a Mentoring Agreement including a guidelines and objectives worksheet that may be used for mentoring pairs in a business mentoring relationship.
Taking each objective individually, using a separate objective form for each, discuss with your mentoree how both of you will work together on achieving this objective.
- List the specific assistance the mentor will provide to achieve this objective:
- What will the mentoree be expected to do in this area in order to achieve this objective?
- What other resources may be available to assist the mentoree in this area? (Training programs, resource materials, other individuals)
- What is the timeframe for accomplishing this objective?
- How will both of you measure the mentoree's success in achieving this objective?
****Repeat these questions for each objective.****
Other Points for Mentors and Mentorees to Discuss at this time:
• How will meetings be determined and scheduled?
• Beyond face-to-face meetings, specify in what other ways you will communicate and how often.
• Specify any limits or constraints that will affect your interaction (time constraints, travel, new boss, etc.) and how will these be handled?
• Confidentiality and trust are key points. Discuss your agreement for confidentiality. For example, will everything discussed in the relationship be considered confidential or only things specified at the time of the discussion?
•When a problem arises in your relationship, share and negotiate how you would like each of you to proceed in dealing with the problem together.
For even more information about how a mentoring program can help your company, check out our free white papers below: