Is your company starting a mentoring program for employees? Or maybe you already have one, but it could use a refresh? A mentoring program is only as good as the training its participants receive. Help to create successful mentoring relationships by providing your mentors, mentorees and program managers the tools they need to succeed.
Help to build confidence in your mentoring program participants. A case study involving over 1,000 participants over a 5-year period proves that mentoring works:
- 25% of employees who enrolled in a mentoring program had a positive salary-grade change, while only 5% of workers who did not participate in a mentoring program had a change.
- Mentors were promoted six times more often than those who did not mentor formally.
- Mentorees were promoted five times more often than those who were not formally mentored.
- Retention rates were higher for both mentorees (72%) and mentors (69%) than for employees who did not participate in a mentoring program.
The key to effective mentoring is education: improving your mentoring skills, receiving mentoring training, learning how to effectively be a mentor, learning how to get the most out of a program as a mentoree, and learning how to effectively manage a business mentoring program.
The above involves understanding human behavior, knowing how (and when) to communicate in a variety of settings and with diverse peoples, and encouraging people (and often, yourself).
Below are 3 resources to help with mentor and mentoree training. Be sure to share them with your program manager or human resources department:
1. Business Mentoring Manuals (eBooks)
- Mentoring: A Business Strategy That Works
- Business Mentoring: Communication Styles Instrument
- Business Mentoring: Communication Styles Instrument AND Guide for Program Managers
- Creating a Successful Mentoring Relationship: Training, Tips, and Tricks
- Executive Mentoring 101
- Group Mentoring: Facilitation Styles Instrument
- Group Mentoring Manual for Mentors
- Group Mentoring: Mentoree Role Preferences
- How to Find a Mentor
- Mentor Readiness Instrument
- Mentoree Readiness Instrument
2. Online Training for Mentors, Mentorees and Program Managers
- Anytime Mentoring: Bringing Social Learning, Employee Development and Mentoring Together – HR recertification credits available!
- Common Challenges Faced by Mentoring Program Managers and Strategies on How to Minimize these Challenges – HR recertification credits available!
- Best Practices in Creating a Professional Mentoring Program
- Group Mentoring: When to Use It & How to Do It Well
- How Technology Can Help or Hinder Your Mentoring Program
- 25 Differences Between Coaching and Mentoring
If you have any questions about training for mentors, mentorees or program managers, leave them in the comments section below or contact us.