Interested in learning more about mentoring benefits? Here's what mentors can expect:
1. Mentoring allows the mentor to give back, which is always good for the spirit. Mentoring also allows the mentor to "pay it forward." If the mentor has had a positive experience with mentoring in the past, then it's worthwhile to help someone else.
2. Mentoring reminds the mentor how to listen actively rather than passively. Active listening is a valuable skill in our professional and personal lives.
3. Mentoring encourages the mentor to share knowledge, which helps increase the mentor's sense of self-worth. We all need that boost from time to time, including mentors.
4. Mentoring strengthens the mentor's interpersonal relationship skills. It's helpful to get out of the daily nine-to-five grind and challenge yourself to engage with another human being who isn't part of your immediate work and personal environments.
5. Mentoring helps re-energize the mentor's career. We like to say that mentoring is contagious. If you're encouraging someone to take stock of their life, their goals, and so forth, you'll likely find yourself doing the same, which is a good thing.
6. Mentoring leads to personal satisfaction. There's nothing like watching someone blossom right before your very eyes and to know that you—the patient gardener—had something to do with it.
Have you ever mentored someone? What other benefits did you experience in addition to the ones described above? Share in the comments. And learn about other mentoring benefits by clicking through on the offer below.