If you are looking to build a mentoring relationship, here are some things to consider:
- Take the time to get to know each other.
- Talk about what mentoring means to each other.
- Discuss goals that you would both like to achieve.
- Discuss expectations that you have for one another.
- Share your ideas, thoughts, and any fears that you may have.
- Agree on the amount of time that you will invest in the relationship.
- Agree on the types of communications that will be used.
- Plan on when and where you will meet ahead of time.
Preparing effectively at the beginning of a mentoring relationship can affect the development and growth that it has. Remember, it takes two people to build a mentoring relationship.
Don't forget to ask those important questions!