Mentoring pairs develop at different speeds as mentor and mentoree get to know one another. Sometimes, when a mentoring pair is first starting out or if a pair is stuck and aren't sure what to discuss next, a discussion guide to get the relationship moving may help.
Here is an example of a discussion guide that a mentor can use to stimulate discussion with the mentoree on this topic of managing a career:
- Where do you want to be in the next few years in terms of your career and what have you done to ensure that this happens?
- What skills/knowledge or experience do you need to add to your current repertoire to maintain or increase your marketability?
- In looking at your current position, what do you need to be successful in the future? What needs to be in place to make this happen?
- What have been some of the mistakes you've made that have stalled or even derailed your professional development? What lessons have you learned as a result?
- Would you describe your career development as reactive or proactive? Why? Do you want to change this in any way? How?
- What is the one thing you will take away from our discussion today that you will implement to improve your marketability?
Hopefully this guide will help rekindle you mentoring relationship if you find that it begins to stall. Please also feel free to download our free white paper on 5 Ways Business Mentoring Fosters Career Advancement. Happy mentoring!